It was an honor to see Refresh Detroit mentioned in a recent blog post by AdaptiveBlue as â€œOne of the Best Tech Events in the USâ€.Â Two other events in the Detroit area were mentioned including the Detroit Startup Weekend and the Ann Arbor TECH cocktail.Â Of course we know there are many other great events in the Detroit area, if you have more to share please do so in the comments here.
Those of us who participate in meetups and groups such as Refresh Detroit do so for many different reasons.Â We enjoy networking, continuing education opportunities, or sharing our knowledge with like minded individuals.Â What other things draw you to groups such as this?Â Weâ€™d like to know not only how to stay current and relevant to you, but how to stay â€œone of the bestâ€ in this area!
If youâ€™re interested in finding more great events in the Detroit area, hereâ€™s a short list of resources to start with:
We hope to see you at our next event!
Are you a web professional interested in learning more about the legal side of the freelance business? Join Refresh Detroit on February 17, from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at Wayne State University, for an interactive discussion led by an attorney who has provided web professionals in Michigan with legal services ranging from drafting contracts to organizing their businesses.
We encourage all web developers and business owners to join in the discussion with fellow attendees, so bring any insights or questions you have on the freelance business that you would like to talk about.
- Where: Wayne State University Law School, 471 W. Palmer Street, Detroit, MI 48202 (directions) Room 2103, The Distance Learning Room. (University map)
- Date: Tuesday, February 17
- Time: 6:30pm to 8:30pm
- Cost: Free. The event is free, but should you choose to park at Wayne State, the cost is $3.50 for guests.
- Incorporation vs. sole proprietorship – What are the liability and taxation issues? What cost is involved? What are articles of incorporation?
- Proposals, contracts, statement of work (SOW) – What do they mean? Why should web professionals care?
- Non-compete clauses – Should you sign one? What are your rights?
- Breach of contract – How can you defend yourself, or collect on damages against you?
- Whatever issues you would like to talk about. Participation is encouraged!
Our Speaker: Mary Novrocki
Mary Novrocki is the sole attorney and owner of the Law Office of Mary Novrocki, P.L.L.C, in Plymouth Michigan. As a general practitioner of law, Mary has provided web professionals in Michigan with legal services for organizing businesses, contracts, statements of work, and other business related legal issues.
Please comment if you plan to attend. Thank you!
On Tuesday, February 10, 2009, from 6:00pm to 8:30pm, the Michigan Usability Professionals’ Association will host Introduction to Usability: An Interactive Discussion at Quicken Loans in Livonia, Michigan.
Interested in learning the basics and benefits of user-centered design and how to introduce it into your organization? This is the event you want to attend!
Mike Beasley, the president of the Michigan UPA, and Dave Mitropoulos-Rundus, owner and principal of UsableWorld, will lead the discussion. Learn about:
- What is usability? Can you touch it? Can you measure it?
- How can you incorporate it into your organization?
- “Usability,” “User Experience,” “Human Factors,” “Information Architecture?” What do these words and phrases mean?
- What can my website analytics tell me about the usability of my site?
- How can you use user tasks and goals to organize your website?
Food and networking begins at 6:00pm, program at 7:00pm.
The introduction to the basics of usability will be followed by a Q&A session. Audience members will set the agenda for this discussion through the questions you bring, so come prepared!
Location: Quicken Loans, 20255 Victor Parkway, Livonia, MI 48152 (map)
Directions: Exit 7 Mile East from I-275. North on Victors Parkway from 7 Mile. At the Quicken Loans building, enter main door, go to 3rd floor, meeting will be in the “Puerto Rico Room”
Cost: $10 for MIUPA members, $5 for full-time non-working students, $15 for all others
RSVP via email